Thursday, July 22, 2004

Brain Blog 2004 #5




HANK¹S BRAIN BLOG (#5)


Greetings and welcome to Hanks¹ Brain Blog for July 22.


RECOVERY

My recovery from the procedures is progressing (albeit much slower than

I'd prefer) and I¹m track to fully regaining my faculties. While some might

argue that I¹ve never had full control of my faculties, it sucks being

an invalid, and I¹m more than ready to be myself, my whole self and nothing

but myself again. Meantime, the doctor this week reminded me that the pain

and other side effects I¹m suffering are the result of major brain surgery

and that I should take it easy and get better. Well, OK.


BEFORE & AFTER

When I was a 98 lb. freshman in high school on the football team, I saw

an advert in an Archie & Jughead comic book for a Charles Atlas bodybuilding

offer.

The ad was the classic 98 lb. weakling getting sand kicked in his face

by a big bully at the beach. The weakling took the course, built up his muscles,

returned to the beach, kicked the bully¹s ass, and got the bikini-clad

babe.

I never believed the ad, nor that I could grow muscles; and I still don¹t

have much for muscles, but in the 35 years since, I¹ve gained 100lbs.;

does that count?

Anyway, when I was in the operating room on June 29 with my brain opened

up and the wires implanted, the surgeons hooked up a temporary stimulation

device to perform the "Spiral Test". They asked me to draw a spiral

(yes I was awake during the whole procedure) on a piece of paper with my left

hand.

Then they powered up the temporary stimulator and asked me to repeat

the action. (ergo a before-and after test). The results were amazing!

The first image looked like a snowflake from the tremors;, imagine that hand

holding a cup of coffee. The second after the dbs activation was a beautiful spiral!

Well, if this thing turns out like the second image, I look forward to joining each

and every one of you for a cup of coffee and some catching up...


NEXT STEP

The next step in my process is to visit the doctor next Tuesday for a

check-up and the first attempt to power up the 2 stimulation devices

implanted in my chest. Then we¹ll go about the process of programming

them to optimum effectiveness, which is expected to require several visits.

Meantime, I¹ve got orders to take it easy. Which also means my long

anticipated trip to Athens for the summer olympic games is cancelled.

I'm told to avoid metal detectors because they can interfere with my stimulation

devices; you suppose I¹d have seen a few of those at the olympics in Athens? So, it¹s

back to being an ornery invalid and healing one day at a time: Pacific Daylight

Time...


Thanks for your attention and interest.

Regards,

Hank



No comments:

Post a Comment